Once again it's been an interesting day in our household! Last Friday night as we were driving along deciding where we wanted to get a bite to eat, part of my front tooth decided to "pop" out of my mouth - I wasn't even chewing anything!! We called the dentist right away and I had it fixed today (thankfully!)........no sooner had we come in the front door when we got a call from the Sully's doctor.
We had taken Sully for a blood test last Thursday to find out what he's allergic to and had been waiting for the results. Let's back track a little...........at Christmas time he had started itching really badly (at one point his face was weeping) so we took him to the doctor and they told us that he had Eczema probably due to the dryness in the air from the heat etc), we were given allergy meds to take twice a day. Sully didn't get any better with the allergy meds so I took him back and they pretty much said there was nothing else we could do but lather the kid in Vaseline all day (which we also tried).
Last month (about the time I lost the baby) Sully was really sick with a vomiting bug and didn't eat for 5 days. During that time we noticed how beautiful and clear his skin was and how he hadn't been scratching at ALL!! The day he started back on food, he was a mess.....his eyes swelled up, he was scratching like crazy and had a rash (I had been worried enough to almost take him to the ER) we took him to the doctor and was told that it was "going around".........
THEN we found out he had asthma and about 2 weeks ago had a bad asthma attack. I took him back to the doctor again and asked if this could be food allergies (I have no idea why I didn't think of this sooner!!) Sully was sent for blood tests and now we were getting the call with the results (on the eve of our vacation)..............in the doctor's words, Sully is "severely, extremely allergic to PEANUTS, soy and shrimp"...they called in for an EpiPen right away and we went and got it 10 minutes later!
To be honest, I'm kind of sitting here in shock - I had convinced myself a few weeks ago that he was allergic to dairy and eggs and had taken him off those things (and haven't had to give him an allergy med since)....unfortunately as a substitute for milk, I had been giving him SOY MILK!!!!!!! I feel terrible!!! I am also praising God that nothing serious has happened to my baby boy because a few times in the last few months, both Mike and I have made him a peanut butter sandwich and each time, he has pushed the plate away and wouldn't even try it - Thanks you Lord for protecting him!!!
Right now, I'm not really sure what I can feed Sully - looking at labels, a LOT of what we have in our house either contains soy or a soy product or was made in a factory that also has peanuts!! If any of you have some good suggestions or website for me, I'm open to hearing them............of course I've had a million thoughts running through my head like "how can I keep my baby safe" to "that means he can never eat candy" and "how can he ever go to a friend's house to eat" and "he'll never get invited to play at a friends house"......ugh - I know God loves him and will help us navigate through this new curve.......I'm a little scared though to be honest.
To top it all off - the fix that the dentist did on my tooth today fell out - looks like I"m headed back there first thing tomorrow! Apart from all of that, we're leaving for vacation tomorrow!!! YAY!! Off to visit my brother and his family in NC. I won't have my computer with me so I hope you all have a FANTASTIC Easter. When we get back, I'll be posting a superhero unit that I've been working on, so look our for it :-)